“Tommy is an amazing teacher and it has been a blessing to learn from him this past year. Here are just a few reasons why I appreciate him and drive out an hour each way to see him every week:
– He is a patient mentor who is experienced teaching students of all ages. I think since he works with very young children, he is also able to clearly communicate and demonstrate concepts and techniques to older students like me.
– One of the things I appreciate most about Tommy is that he is passionate about teaching. I can see it when he is genuinely excited whenever I learn a new concept or technique. As talented as he is, Tommy continues to learn, taking lessons and music writing classes. As a teacher myself, I really appreciate that and believe that is a mark of a great instructor, someone who keeps learning and growing as well.
– Tommy is always thinking of creative ways to help me improve, whether it’s by pulling the right exercise from his extensive library, or by incorporating various media. He uses technology effectively. In some cases when he didn’t have the perfect exercise, Tommy took the extra time during the week to write one out for me on the computer!
– He is multi-talented, constantly gigs, works as a drummer, band director, and is a composer. I definitely want a teacher who is actively working as a musician so he can’t be complacent about his own practice and improvement. His other experience adds valuable insight on how to play drums effectively in different situations.
– Tommy is dedicated to challenging and growing his students. He even once told me he thinks about each of his students before he goes to sleep at night!
– Tommy is also an all around great guy. He is humble, honest and vulnerable about his own struggles in how he became a professional musician. The other week he was giving me advice on how to push through failures and improve by taking risks.
– Last but not least, he is very responsible with scheduling. Tommy is a great role model who loves percussion and teaching. I highly recommend him to anyone who is looking to make the worthwhile investment in drum lessons.”